Where do I start?
So a couple of weeks ago I shared some photos of my work-in-progress dress on Instagram and I kept wondering why it looked so… familiar.
When I first worked on this dress, I made the collar in all white against the black polka dot fabric. But something felt off to me about the combo of the big white collar against the black polka dot fabric, so I posted a poll asking if it looked too “french maidy”, and 83% of you thought it was cuuute, the rest of you thought I should start over. It was only after one of you DM’d me and pointed out that it looked “pilgrimy” – and that was the lightbulb moment! I was wondering my hubby kept asking me if I’m going to make a bonnet to go with my dress.
Needless to say, I decided to get rid of the all white collar and make it in the same polka dot fabric, but with a white ruffle trim instead, and I think it turned out pretty darn cute! It’s definitely more wearable now. But imagine if I had to go out in public in this dress and possibly offending someone? Especially after I also said I wanted to “hoochify” the dress by shortening the hem quite a bit! Oh my, I’m cringing at my ignorance.
‘Nuff said about my little facepalm moment, let’s talk about this dress.
I recently discovered that I am a petite pear.
If your height is under 5″4’/162.56cm (mine is 158cm), you’re considered petite. If your hip measurement (mine is 102cm) is bigger than your bust measurement (mine is 91cm), then you’re considered pear.
I decided to start a hashtag called #petitepearsewist in the hopes of seeing more sewists with a similar body type. That way I get to see how the same or similar garments would fit on me and I could gauge the adjustments I may have to make on a pattern.
With that said, I now know why I’m always having to shorten my hems (for example). I even shared an example of a dress with no mods how it fit me compared to the same dress with no mods on a much taller fellow sewist. There is a highlight on my Insta profile under “petite pear” if you would like to see. I find this so interesting because it’s not something I really thought about before!
Anyhoo, I had to make adjustments to the hemline of my Bakerloo. I shorted mine by about 5.5″ (about 14cm) plus a hem allowance of 3/8″ (1cm). I also had to shorten the long sleeves, because they were very long on me. I wish I had taken a photo of the before, but let’s just say it came up over most of my hand with only the tips of my fingers poking out. I don’t usually make garments with long sleeves, so this is the first time I really came across this issue. At least now I know this is another adjustment I always have to look out for on a pattern that features long sleeves.
The Bakerloo is quite a loose fit dress, but I knew I wanted the waist to be a bit more defined, so I added an elastic channel to mine and I think it turned out pretty cute!
Here is a photo of the dress with the white collar before I took the seam ripper to it.
Here is a close-up of the elastic detail I added at the waist of the dress.
If you aren’t already, please connect with me on Instagram @iamscarletstitch