The warmer season is approaching here in the southern hemisphere, and I’m excited to start wearing dresses again.
If you follow me on social media you’ll know that I’m currently working on my capsule wardrobe, and ironically enough aren’t many dresses in the first collection I’ve put together. Granted, it’s only 6 pieces. I’ll be sharing more about that in a future blog post, but for now, my point is that I love dresses, and creating this capsule wardrobe is challenging me to be more open to exploring other facets of this amazing sewing craft.
With that said, the colour scheme of my wardrobe is based on the print of this very dress, so my new Muse dress by French pattern designer P&M Patterns is going to fit right in!
I love all the variations this pattern has to offer which means the possibilities and pattern hacks for this design are endless.
I was gifted a pattern of my choice by P&M Patterns in exchange for providing testing feedback. I am huge fan of French style so I was excited to peruse their website and find something that I know would suit my style and fit into my wardrobe. When I saw the Muse Dress, I knew it was the perfect pattern for me!
Initially I had planned to hack this dress into a tiered maxi version as you can see in my sewing journal, but I realized I didn’t have enough fabric to make the bottom tier wide enough. I am actually glad it turned out the way it did because I think the shorter length looks pretty cute on me.
Overall, I love all the variations this pattern has to offer which means the possibilities and pattern hacks for this design are endless. I chose to go with the ruffle sleeve option, the modest front bodice with the sexy version of the back bodice because I love how it shows off my back tattoo.
Since I used a rayon challis, the ruffles didn’t fall the way I had hoped it would at first. It was all sad and droopy. Part of it might be due to the fact that I didn’t concentrate the ruffles at the shoulder area enough. But then came @alissahthreads, the queen of ruffles and all things puff sleeves, to the rescue. She gave me the tip to interface the ruffles to give them a bit more structure, and as you can see… it worked!
On a side note, I finally used my rolled hem foot. It is an intimidating foot, I’m not gonna lie, but I’m quite happy with how neat and tiny the hem turned out on my ruffles!
Scroll further to see the beautiful photos captured by my hubby.
If you aren’t already, please connect with me on Instagram @scarletstitchstudio, I’d love to hear from you.