This is the third Myosotis Dress that I made.

The first two turned out amazing! I stuck to the pattern, made both of them in a size 14 (slightly bigger than what was required for my measurements, but I love loose-fitting dresses) and I have literally worn them every week since I first made them.

Fast forward to my third one. I decided to hack the pattern and make the bodice more fitted. I was hasty, and ended up freehand cutting the sides of the bodice, without considering the armscye depth (cringe). Little did I know this would be a huge mistake.

Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch
Pattern: Deer and Doe Myosotis Dress View A // Size: 14 // Fabric: Euro Linen from Studio47 // Buttons: Fabric Friends // Thread: Mettler Metrosene 100% Polyester Thread from Bernina // Sewing Machine: Bernina B535 // Overlocker: Bernina 1300MDC

Oftentimes we only share the end result and what this does is give a false perception that everything worked out perfectly, when it’s not always the case.

I would like to share with you all the mistakes I made with this dress. Oftentimes we only share the end result and what this does is give a false perception that everything worked out perfectly, when it’s not always the case. And for newbie sewists, this can be misleading when falling into that comparison trap. I want to be as open and honest about my sewing journey.

Here are the mistakes I made when making this dress:

  1. As mentioned, I freehand cut the sides of the bodice without taking the armscye depth into consideration. This resulted in some extreme diagonal drag lines from the armpit up toward the neckline. I fixed this by cutting the armhole deeper and thank goodness it worked out.
  2. Initially I made the sleeve without the flounce. Since I cut it in a bigger size than what I needed for my measurements, the armhole seam became apparent and I felt like a footballer with massive shoulders, LOL! This was when I decided to unpick the sleeve hems and add the flounce to distract from the slightly dropped armhole seams. When I cut the armscye deeper, this also helped to remedy the issue.
  3. When I made the bodice smaller, I didn’t take into consideration that the amount of gathers in the skirt also needed to be reduced. Now there are way to many, causing the dress to be heavier, thus pulling at the waistline causing a slightly wavy effect. If you look closely at the waistline, you will notice it. I do need to unpick the entire waistline seam and remove some of that gathers so that it doesn’t pull down as much.
  4. Another repercussion of that freehand bodice cutting stint of mine, was that I cut too much off, making the dress so tight that I cannot take it off by myself and need my hubby to help me.
  5. Because I was in a rush to get this dress done, I didn’t add the pockets. Can you believe it? I absolutely regret this, but not to worry, it’s something I can always add later on. The question is, when?

Mistakes are part of the learning process, it means I am making progress.

You probably wouldn’t have noticed any of this had I not pointed it out, right? This is a common thing amongst sewists. Usually when someone compliments us on our make, we’re so quick to point out the flaws, when it doesn’t really matter! All that matters is that you made the garment and that you feel amazing wearing it.

One thing I have certainly learned here, is to make a muslin before making any crazy adjustments, especially when deviating from the original pattern. But either way, there’s always more fabric!

Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch Myosotis Dress | Scarlet Stitch

If you aren’t already, please connect with me on Instagram @scarletstitchonline, I’d love to hear from you.

Write A Comment

Pin It